Orthopedics and Traumatology
Since the beginning of service in Bir hospital, orthopedics and trauma service was providing. At the beginning orthopedics and trauma was under the general surgeon but from 1978 B.S,the orthopedic surgeon ran orthopedics service separately. As the advent of postgraduate education in Bir hospital as NAMS, Master degree course on orthopedics and trauma surgery had been started since 2003 BS. As the concept of NAMS arises as collective collaborative teaching units of different centers, departments of orthopedics of Bir hospital, Nepal army hospital and Patan hospital make a composite trauma teaching blocks.
Department of Orthopedics in Bir Hospital had been divided into 4 units lead by senior consultant since 2009 AD. Now each unit has one senior consultant (Professor), consultants (Associate and Assistant Professor) and registrars (Clinical tutor) and residents.
As an academic purpose it is divided into 5 clinical blocks. 3 blocks in Bir Hospital and one block in Nepal Army hospital and Patan hospital each. According to teaching blocks residents are divided and rotates every 4 months in rotation basis for clinical and academic exposure.
Since 2003 AD, master of surgery in Orthopedics and trauma surgery had been started. Till date, more 10 batcheshave been passed out. This is a three-year residential course with two years prerequisite service from MBBS and equivalent. The degree conferred after the completion of the course is MS (Orthopedics and trauma surgery).
Faculties of orthopedics and trauma surgery are as follows:
Bir Hospital: Department of orthopedics and trauma surgery
|Prof. Dr. Ganesh Bahadur Gurung||Chief Consultant|
|Prof. Dr. Shrikrishna Giri||Chief Consultant|
|Assoc. Prof. Dr. Binod Sherchan||Senior Consultant|
|Associate Prof. Dr. Bhoj Raj Adhikari||Consultant|
|Assistant Prof. Dr. Deepak Dutta|
|Assoc. Prof Dr. Raj Ram Maharjan|
|Dr. Badri Rijal||Senior Consultant|
|Clinical tutor Dr. Rishi Bist||Senior Consultant|
|Assoc. Prof. Dr. Gaurav Raj Dhakal||Spine Surgeon|
|Clinical tutor Dr. Rajesh Chaudhary|
|Asst. Prof. Dr. Santosh Paudel||Consultant|
|Clinical tutor Dr. Gyanendra Shah|
Syllabus of MS orthopedics and Trauma surgery:
This is a three-year compact program. There are certain mandatory programs in the course. There are 5 mandatory courses. There are bedside teachings, lecture on topics and case discussions in 2 days a week, multidisciplinary seminar in every fortnight, journal club in every fortnight and grand round once in a week. Residents of each year have specific job description and duties. Each year residents has to attend the annual internal assessment examination. Pass mark is 50% and there must be 90% attendance recommended by teachers and verified by coordinator. The followings are the examination pattern and syllabus for the examination of residents.
In the 1st year examination is basically based on
In 2nd year annual examination
In 3rd year annual examination consist of
Entrance examination is based on MBBS syllabus and examination marks of SLC, HSB and MBBS marks are also counted and give aggregate marks for merit ranking. 15% marks are awarded by the Internal assessment (formative assessment) and remaining 85% marks are assessed in final examination. Thesis has to be approved by IRB(Institutional Review Board) of NAMS and passed by peer reviewers. Thesis has to be passed before final exit examination.
For the final examination residents has to complete the mandatory course of specific program.
Mandatory course for the Orthopedics and trauma surgery course are
The followings are the services given by the department of Orthopedics and trauma.
|OPD service||6 days a week|
|Indoor Service||24 hours a day|
|Routine Operation||4 days a week|
|Emergency service||24 hours a day|
|Emergency operation service||24 hours a day|
|Clinical audit.||Every day 8:30 to 9:30 AM|
At the moment this department is providing the general orthopedics and trauma surgical service. Spine service is running. Specialty service units like sport medicine, adult reconstruction, foot ankle service, orthopedic oncology service, trauma services and hand and plastic service are launching in near future.